Frequently asked questions


When do the trails open and close?

Weather permitting; trails are open year around anytime. Our equestrian and bike trails close when wet or with adverse winter conditions. Hikers are advised to use the rocked “double track” town loop trail if other trails are wet and muddy. Stop by a kiosk or the Bur Oak Visitors’ center to pick up a trail map. Trail updates can be found at whiterockconservancy/singletrack on Facebook.

Do I need to buy a pass to use the trails?

There is no fee for hikers but a suggested user donation of $ 2 per person can be made at any trail head/kiosk. Trail use for cyclists is $5 per day $10 per horse per day for equestrians and can also be paid at trail heads or kiosks. We encourage all trail users to purchase a year long pass which is $25 for bikers and hikers and $50 for equestrians. Fees help to cover trail maintenance costs. Contact the Visitors’ Center to purchase your trail pass or purchase online with the links above.

How do I report a problem with a trail?

Weather events can cause trees to fall or water to erode the trails. We depend on users to help us keep trails in good shape and help us be aware of areas that need maintenance. If you observe a problem, take a photo and note your approximate location and send the information to or call 712 790 8221 ext. 4.

Does my dog need to be on a leash?

Whiterock requests you be respectful to others who are using the facility. Your dog does not need to be on a leash if it is well behaved it stays in close proximity to you while you are hiking/camping.

Can I hunt?

No, hunting is not permitted on Whiterock property.

Rentals and Accommodations

How do I check in?

We try to keep the check in process as simple as possible. Most houses will be unlocked for you prior to your arrival. In certain cases, you may receive and e mail with additional instructions. Please read the information provided in the binder where you are staying. Please leave us a note if you have any comments and let us know about your stay by leaving a comment on Trip Advisor website.

What time is check in and check out?

For accommodations, check in is a 3:00 p.m. and check out is at 11:00 a.m. Currently, we do not allow guests to check in early or check out late due to the time we need to prepare accommodations for the next guests. For camping check in and check out is 4 p.m.

Are pets allowed?

Pets are not allowed in the Hollyhock or Home Farm accommodations. At other accommodations there is a $10 per pet per stay fee payable at the accommodation. Campers can bring pets but please be courteous to other guests.


How do I purchase firewood?

Self-serve firewood is available at all campgrounds and houses. Firewood is $5 per bucket. A pay box is located near the stack or use envelopes available in the houses. Campfires should be lit only at designated fire rings. Firewood brought from outside of Whiterock is not allowed to slow the spread of invasive species.

When do your campgrounds and showerhouses open? Are they seasonal?

Whiterock has modern shower houses with hot water and bathrooms at Oakridge and Star Field campsites. Solar showers and pit toilet or kaibos are available at River campground and 805 campsite. Shower houses are open from April to September. Campsites, RV hookups and potable water are open and accessible all year round.

What are your COViD 19 Campground Rules?

Whiterock Conservancy is excited to announce we will be opening camping as of 8AM on May 8 to provide visitors with one more option to connect with the natural world. All sites are first come first served. We will not be taking reservation for the foreseeable future.

While we are happy to be able to offer this opportunity, we remain cognizant of the need to do so in a safe manner. Please continue to respect social distancing guidelines.

Whiterock Conservancy will be following the Iowa DNR guidelines including:

  • Only campsite occupants will be allowed at campsites. Visitors will not be allowed at campsites. Day visitors are asked not to park near campsites, especially at River Campground.
  • Campfires at the individual campsites will be limited to campers occupying that campsite.
  • Six occupants per campsite, unless immediate family currently living together contains more than six.
  • Communal picnic tables, port-a-potties, shower houses and grills are open for use at your own risk.
  • The Visitors Center remains closed and Whiterock is providing limited canoe/kayak rentals or livery service.
  • Whiterock Conservancy’s house rentals are open. Visit or call 712-790-8221 x1 for more information.

Whiterock Conservancy requests your continued cooperation with physical distancing and disposing of all waste in proper containers so that the trails and campgrounds remain open as a viable option for recreational opportunity. We ask campers to take responsibility to abide by the guidelines set forth.

Thank you! We look forward to seeing you on the land.

Gear Rental?

How do I rent a mountain bike/kayak/fishing equipment/gator etc.?

We offer a variety of outdoor equipment for our guests to rent and use. We offer canoe/kayak rental and shuttle service. We have 11 mountain bikes (medium and large) available for rent at River campground. You can rent fishing gear from us at the Home Farm or River campground. We also have a gator available for rent. For prices and more information check our webpage on gear rental or contact guest services at 712 790 8221 ext. 5 or


How are you funded?

Whiterock Conservancy is a 501 c 3 nonprofit organization established in 2004. We receive no state or federal support for our operations. We receive our funding from agricultural income, donations and grants from individuals and organizations, user fees and a small endowment. You can see our most recent 990 here.

Where can we eat?

In Coon Rapids: Coon Bowl, Chuck’s, Cady’s, La Terraza Mexican Restaurant, Kimmes convenience store (pizza), Frolich’s Supermarket (noon takeaway meal), Eagles Run in Bayard

Can I volunteer at Whiterock?

Whiterock depends on public support to keep our doors open. We need a variety of volunteers to help keep Whiterock fully operational and looking great. We need people to help with maintenance, horticulture, IT and office work, burns, etc. Call or stop by the Bur Oak Visitors’ Center and talk to a staff member about your interests and skills and we will put your volunteer skill to work.

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

Whiterock Conservancy         712-790-8221

1436 Highway 141, Coon Rapids, IA 50058

Copyright 2020 Whiterock Conservancy | All Rights Reserved | Proudly created with